Long Island News
Asst. principal accused of inappropriate texts
NORTHPORT, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police have arrested an assistant principal at a Long Island high school after they say he sent inappropriate texts to students and faculty members.
47-year-old Craig Cohen will not be returning to Wyandanch High School, at least not for now.
Police say they've received reports from two female students and a teacher that they received inappropriate text messages from Cohen and that the messages kept coming even after they asked him to stop.
"There was no explicit request to engage in any sort of sexual conduct but they were sexually explicit messages," said Inspector Gerard Gigante, of the Suffolk County Police Department.
Police say Cohen approached the students in the cafeteria took their cell phones out of their hands and dialed his number.
"He waited for the call to go through and then handed it back to her," Gigante said.
Investigators say in at least one instance Cohen texted one of the students asking her to come to his office.
"She did not go down to the office. After school that day he asked her why didn't she come down to the office," Gigante said.
The superintendent of the Wyandanch Union Free School District wouldn't go on camera to discuss the allegations but released this statement to Eyewitness News:
"The staff member has been reassigned immediately and further appropriate action will be taken by the school district pending the results of the investigation by the Suffolk County Police Department."
Students Eyewitness News spoke to who say they know Cohen say they do not think any of this is true.
"He ain't do it. He a good man since I knew him as a freshman. He always been there for everybody for every student. He gives us great ideas. He helps us stuff we need tutoring so to me he ain't do it," said Juan Serrano, a senior.
long island, texting, long island news, kristin thorne
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 59 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect 4 min ago
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Battling a third party energy company
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head 34 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
23 min ago