Long Island News
Students shave heads for cancer research money
MERRICK, N.Y. (WABC) -- If it were up to the kids at Calhoun High School in Merrick, Long Island, cancer wouldn't have a chance.
It's their hearts that spur them on.
It's their hair that raises money.
They shaved their heads for dollars.
"It's an easy thing to do considering the cause," said Jonathan McLeod, a student.
"You can't donate to a better cause," said Joshua Fisher, a student.
The guys take it all off.
The girls cut it short and donate what's shorn to make human hair wigs for kids with cancer.
Hannah Fitzpatrick gave up 10 inches of her hair.
"My hair will grow back, so why wouldn't I donate it," Fitzpatrick said.
One of the inspirations is Dean Brownworth, a student at Calhoun who had brain cancer.
"I think it's so amazing that they raise so much money for such a good cause, so close to me, after all I've been through, it really means a lot," Brownworth said.
Dean had cancer a year ago at this event, and he came here then with no hair after his radiation treatment.
"It was really an uplifting moment for him when he came in and saw all these friends getting their heads shaved. Friends, teachers and the principal, everybody getting their head shaved. It was fabulous," said Wayne Brownworth, Dean's father.
long island, cancer, student, merrick, long island news, bill ritter
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos