Long Island News
Students shave heads for cancer research money
MERRICK, N.Y. (WABC) -- If it were up to the kids at Calhoun High School in Merrick, Long Island, cancer wouldn't have a chance.
It's their hearts that spur them on.
It's their hair that raises money.
They shaved their heads for dollars.
"It's an easy thing to do considering the cause," said Jonathan McLeod, a student.
"You can't donate to a better cause," said Joshua Fisher, a student.
The guys take it all off.
The girls cut it short and donate what's shorn to make human hair wigs for kids with cancer.
Hannah Fitzpatrick gave up 10 inches of her hair.
"My hair will grow back, so why wouldn't I donate it," Fitzpatrick said.
One of the inspirations is Dean Brownworth, a student at Calhoun who had brain cancer.
"I think it's so amazing that they raise so much money for such a good cause, so close to me, after all I've been through, it really means a lot," Brownworth said.
Dean had cancer a year ago at this event, and he came here then with no hair after his radiation treatment.
"It was really an uplifting moment for him when he came in and saw all these friends getting their heads shaved. Friends, teachers and the principal, everybody getting their head shaved. It was fabulous," said Wayne Brownworth, Dean's father.
long island, cancer, student, merrick, long island news, bill ritter
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 53 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 1 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
34 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos