Long Island News
Sandy checks made out to banks not cashed
OCEANSIDE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Nearly five months after Superstorm Sandy, some devastated homeowners still haven't gotten their insurance checks.
Well actually they've gotten them but they can't cash them.
Because they're also made out to the banks that hold their mortgages, and they aren't releasing the money.
Amid the clutter of stuff saved from the ground floor when Sandy came calling, Shelli Silberman is most grateful that no one in her family was hurt and that her piano survived.
Almost nothing else did.
The house is starting to come together now, no thanks to insurance.
The insurance checks came, these are copies, but they were made out to Shelli and her mortgage company and the mortgage company hasn't given her any of it yet.
Ivan Delian, lives right down the street, and he has the same problem.
Governor Cuomo is trying to pressure the banks into giving the people their money so they can rebuild.
Tuesday he released a list of the banks that are not doing an adequate job, and third on the list is Astoria Federal, the bank Ms. Silberman uses.
Astoria released a statement saying, they're trying to do better: "We also recently adjusted our policy and release 75% of all insurance claim funds, in order to accelerate disbursements."
But that's not what they told Ms. Silberman.
So far she's used her own money to get started, but the contractors want to know they're going to be paid before they do any more work.
long island, nassau county, superstorm sandy, long island news, jim dolan
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 54 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 7 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 58 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos