Long Island News
Long Island gym teacher accused of spying on girls
WESTHAMPTON BEACH (WABC) -- A Long Island middle school gym teacher is under arrest Wednesday, accused of setting up a video recording device in the girls' locker room.
Police say 27-year-old Thomas Sheppard was still in his gym outfit as he walked out of the state police barracks today. Police say Sheppard placed a cell phone in the girls locker room at Westhampton Beach Middle School to record them. "These charges are based upon one incident we're aware of. There may be more charges forthcoming as the investigation continues," said Major Patrick Regan with State Police. Sheppard's fiance as well as his parents were in court today for his appearance before a judge. His lawyer had nothing to say afterwards Police say last month a member of the school personnel found the cell phone and called police. Investigators wouldn't say where the phone allegedly was in the locker room, how long they think it had been there or if they've determined if Sheppard recorded anything. Earlier this afternoon Sheppard was released on $25,000 cash bail. But he will not be returning to the school. After four years there he's now been suspended. The superintendent of the Westhampton Beach school district wouldn't discuss the allegations only releasing this statement to eyewitness news: "Since this is a personnel matter and an active investigation the district is legally constrained from sharing any additional details at this time."
Anyone who has information is encouraged to contact the New York State Police at 631-208-9002.
long island, hamptons, teacher arrested, long island news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
49 min ago