Long Island News
Alleged illegal gunsmith busted near Long Island high school
CENTEREACH -- Authorities have confiscated more than 300 guns and ammunition from a Long Island home they say operated as an illegal gunsmith business.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said Thursday that most of the recovered guns were not locked away. He said they were found in various rooms of the house and in an unlocked attic.
He said investigators also retrieved five loaded handguns from an unlocked dresser in the owner's master bedroom.
Spota said the Suffolk County Crime Lab this week completed testing on many of the handguns.
The home's owner, Jay Steiner, was charged with criminal possession of a weapon. He is free on $25,000 bail.
The district attorney said the house is within 300 feet of Centereach High School.
long island, long island news
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green