Long Island News
Alleged illegal gunsmith busted near Long Island high school
CENTEREACH -- Authorities have confiscated more than 300 guns and ammunition from a Long Island home they say operated as an illegal gunsmith business.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said Thursday that most of the recovered guns were not locked away. He said they were found in various rooms of the house and in an unlocked attic.
He said investigators also retrieved five loaded handguns from an unlocked dresser in the owner's master bedroom.
Spota said the Suffolk County Crime Lab this week completed testing on many of the handguns.
The home's owner, Jay Steiner, was charged with criminal possession of a weapon. He is free on $25,000 bail.
The district attorney said the house is within 300 feet of Centereach High School.
long island, long island news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 42 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
6 min ago