Long Island News
Alleged illegal gunsmith busted near Long Island high school
CENTEREACH -- Authorities have confiscated more than 300 guns and ammunition from a Long Island home they say operated as an illegal gunsmith business.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said Thursday that most of the recovered guns were not locked away. He said they were found in various rooms of the house and in an unlocked attic.
He said investigators also retrieved five loaded handguns from an unlocked dresser in the owner's master bedroom.
Spota said the Suffolk County Crime Lab this week completed testing on many of the handguns.
The home's owner, Jay Steiner, was charged with criminal possession of a weapon. He is free on $25,000 bail.
The district attorney said the house is within 300 feet of Centereach High School.
long island, long island news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 18 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 6 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 21 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
6 min ago