Long Island News
Alleged illegal gunsmith busted near Long Island high school
CENTEREACH -- Authorities have confiscated more than 300 guns and ammunition from a Long Island home they say operated as an illegal gunsmith business.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said Thursday that most of the recovered guns were not locked away. He said they were found in various rooms of the house and in an unlocked attic.
He said investigators also retrieved five loaded handguns from an unlocked dresser in the owner's master bedroom.
Spota said the Suffolk County Crime Lab this week completed testing on many of the handguns.
The home's owner, Jay Steiner, was charged with criminal possession of a weapon. He is free on $25,000 bail.
The district attorney said the house is within 300 feet of Centereach High School.
long island, long island news
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 37 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 38 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
30 min ago