Long Island News
Freeport principal charged with sex crime submitted false fingerprints, officials say
FREEPORT -- According to the New York State education department, a Long Island middle school principal accused of having sex with a teenager he met online submitted false fingerprints to the state a decade ago.
The Freeport school district had relied on the agency's clearance of John O'Mard when he was hired in 2003.
Records showed O'Mard had served almost year in jail after a 1990 conviction for grand larceny and a 1987 petty larceny conviction.
His lawyer said he hadn't yet reviewed the criminal dockets alleging the convictions.
The J.W. Dodd Middle School principal was arraigned Wednesday on a charge of criminal sexual acts.
Police say O'Mard met the 16-year-old boy online in September.
long island, freeport, sex abuse, long island news
- Crews reach basement of East Harlem buildings
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 43 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to...
14 min ago