Long Island News
2 cab drivers robbed 25 hours apart on Long Island
WESTBURY (WABC) -- Authorities on Long Island are investigating a pair of taxi driver robberies that may be related.
Now, Nassau County police are trying to determine if the robbers who held up a cabbie Tuesday night are the same two men who robbed another driver the night before.
The back-to-back robberies have police and cabbies worried that a pattern targeting drivers is developing.
The latest incident happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday in Westbury and landed the victim in the hospital.
The first robbery took place just 25 hours earlier in New Cassel.
According to detectives, the Centro America Taxi Company dispatched the 32-year-old male victim driver to pick up a fare at 393 Upland Street.
Two black males were picked up at that location. Later, one of the suspects, who was sitting in the front seat, displayed a silver handgun and demanded money.
The victim grabbed the gun, and a struggle ensued.
After regaining control of the gun, the suspect struck the victim in the head with it, causing a laceration and bleeding above his right eye.
Both subjects then went through the victim's pockets, removed an undisclosed amount of money, exited the cab and fled southbound on Upland Street on foot.
The victim, who was only able to describe the subjects as male blacks, both in their mid 20s, was transported to an area hospital for treatment of his injuries.
The driver in the first incident, who worked for a different cab company, was not injured in the robbery.
Detectives request anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
long island, new cassel, westbury, taxi, robbery, long island news
- At least 1 dead, 15 hurt in East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25