Long Island News
2 cab drivers robbed 25 hours apart on Long Island
WESTBURY (WABC) -- Authorities on Long Island are investigating a pair of taxi driver robberies that may be related.
Now, Nassau County police are trying to determine if the robbers who held up a cabbie Tuesday night are the same two men who robbed another driver the night before.
The back-to-back robberies have police and cabbies worried that a pattern targeting drivers is developing.
The latest incident happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday in Westbury and landed the victim in the hospital.
The first robbery took place just 25 hours earlier in New Cassel.
According to detectives, the Centro America Taxi Company dispatched the 32-year-old male victim driver to pick up a fare at 393 Upland Street.
Two black males were picked up at that location. Later, one of the suspects, who was sitting in the front seat, displayed a silver handgun and demanded money.
The victim grabbed the gun, and a struggle ensued.
After regaining control of the gun, the suspect struck the victim in the head with it, causing a laceration and bleeding above his right eye.
Both subjects then went through the victim's pockets, removed an undisclosed amount of money, exited the cab and fled southbound on Upland Street on foot.
The victim, who was only able to describe the subjects as male blacks, both in their mid 20s, was transported to an area hospital for treatment of his injuries.
The driver in the first incident, who worked for a different cab company, was not injured in the robbery.
Detectives request anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
long island, new cassel, westbury, taxi, robbery, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 11 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
11 min ago