Long Island News
Police investigate deadly hit and run in Central Islip
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating the hit and run death of a 45-year-old man.
Suffolk County Police say Milton Maldonado was discovered lying on Church Street in Central Islip Saturday night by a passer-by who called 911. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
On Sunday night, a brother left flowers, and friends left the rest of the modest memorial where a man who lived on society's fringe, was killed by a motorist who didn't bother to stop.
Gustavo Linares was in his room at 11:30 on Saturday night.
"I ran to my window - I think he's dead," said Linares.
Police were there in minutes, but it took time to identify Maldonado, who has struggled since his mother and aunt died within weeks of each other last year.
It wasn't until late Sunday that police officially called the incident a hit and run, however, witnesses knew right away.
Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
long island, central islip, hit and run accident, long island news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall