Long Island News
Police investigate deadly hit and run in Central Islip
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating the hit and run death of a 45-year-old man.
Suffolk County Police say Milton Maldonado was discovered lying on Church Street in Central Islip Saturday night by a passer-by who called 911. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
On Sunday night, a brother left flowers, and friends left the rest of the modest memorial where a man who lived on society's fringe, was killed by a motorist who didn't bother to stop.
Gustavo Linares was in his room at 11:30 on Saturday night.
"I ran to my window - I think he's dead," said Linares.
Police were there in minutes, but it took time to identify Maldonado, who has struggled since his mother and aunt died within weeks of each other last year.
It wasn't until late Sunday that police officially called the incident a hit and run, however, witnesses knew right away.
Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
long island, central islip, hit and run accident, long island news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 37 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
46 min ago