Long Island News
Sentencing day for killer in Long Island double murder
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- A Long Island man who killed his ex-girlfriend and her little boy will find out his sentence Wednesday.
Jerry Lewis is expected to receive 30 years to life in prison as part of a plea deal.
"The defendant is guilty of two horrific homicides, and this office will recommend the maximum sentence of life in prison without parole," Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.
In February, Lewis admitted he stabbed 21-year-old Shakeela Planter to death a week before Christmas in 2011.
He then fatally beat her 2-year-old son Jaiden, wrapped the boy's body in plastic and put him in the freezer of Planter's Bay Shore apartment.
Lewis was arrested in Laurel, Maryland, on Christmas Eve in 2011, when he turned himself in to police.
Lewis suspected Planter of dating other men.
long island, bay shore, murder, long island news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 8 min ago
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013