Long Island News
California man wheerchairs across US to Long Island
WEST HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A California man is on his way to Long Island for his 25th high school reunion, but he's not getting to the east coast by bus, train or plane. Instead, he's taking his own set of wheels.
Santa Monica resident Gabriel Cordell is rolling across the country in his wheelchair, headed to West Hempstead.
The 42-year-old paraplegic, who was left disabled after a car accident 20 years ago, departed from the Burbank YMCA Tuesday morning.
He says his journey is a dream come true.
"I want to inspire and affect people," he said. "I want to be able to show everyone that no matter what their circumstances are, if they put their mind to something, they can accomplish it, no matter what anyone says to them."
Cordell says he plans to travel about 50 miles a day on his wheelchair. His entire trip is 3,300 miles.
He will be accompanied by a camera crew that's making a documentary film about his journey.
long island, hempstead, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 27 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 9 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving 17 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 24 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges expected in fraternity death
27 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
54 min ago