Long Island News
Woman accused of faking cancer to support drug habit
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 21-year-old Long Island woman is under arrest for lying about having cancer in order to raise money to buy drugs.
The Suffolk County District Attorney's office says Brittany Ozarowski has claimed to have multiple forms of cancer and was raising money in order to pay for her treatment at Sloan-Kettering.
In reality, the DA's office said she is a heroin addict who was using that money to buy drugs. She is not a patient at the hospital.
Ozarowski would put fundraising cans in stores and even beg for money in person. Several Miller Place businesses even held fundraisers for her.
She was also using a website to raise money.
Ozarowski was arrested on April 1st in front of the Stop and Shop on Montauk Highway in Sayville after a joint investigation by the Suffolk County Police and District Attorney's Office. A donor became suspicious and contacted the authorities.
Ozarowski was soliciting shoppers as they left the store when she was arrested.
She's being held at the Suffolk County jail on $5,000 bail. She is scheduled to be arraigned on a grand jury indictment on Wednesday. She will have a court appointed attorney.
Ozarowski has four open narcotics cases. She only weighs 108 pounds.
In a picture on her website she's seen sitting in a wheelchair because, according to the DA's office, she broke her femur in a car accident where she was charged with driving with ability impaired by drugs.
Ozarowski has been living in a motel for the last month after her grandmother moved to Florida. She had been living with her in Selden.
long island, scams, long island news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 23 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 21 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
18 min ago