Long Island News
Woman accused of faking cancer to support drug habit
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A 21-year-old Long Island woman is under arrest for lying about having cancer in order to raise money to buy drugs.
The Suffolk County District Attorney's office says Brittany Ozarowski has claimed to have multiple forms of cancer and was raising money in order to pay for her treatment at Sloan-Kettering.
In reality, the DA's office said she is a heroin addict who was using that money to buy drugs. She is not a patient at the hospital.
Ozarowski would put fundraising cans in stores and even beg for money in person. Several Miller Place businesses even held fundraisers for her.
She was also using a website to raise money.
Ozarowski was arrested on April 1st in front of the Stop and Shop on Montauk Highway in Sayville after a joint investigation by the Suffolk County Police and District Attorney's Office. A donor became suspicious and contacted the authorities.
Ozarowski was soliciting shoppers as they left the store when she was arrested.
She's being held at the Suffolk County jail on $5,000 bail. She is scheduled to be arraigned on a grand jury indictment on Wednesday. She will have a court appointed attorney.
Ozarowski has four open narcotics cases. She only weighs 108 pounds.
In a picture on her website she's seen sitting in a wheelchair because, according to the DA's office, she broke her femur in a car accident where she was charged with driving with ability impaired by drugs.
Ozarowski has been living in a motel for the last month after her grandmother moved to Florida. She had been living with her in Selden.
long island, scams, long island news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 38 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos