Long Island News
Man stumbles upon 4 alligators on Long Island
CALVERTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- It seems that someone thought these alligators would make good companions.
Animal rescue officials believe someone dumped four of them into an inlet in Manorville.
"Unfortunately one of them didn't make it,"
American Alligators can grow to more than 15 feet, but they cannot survive in the cold water of Long Island.
That's why experts think someone ditched them just recently until they were stumbled upon a few days ago.
"They would not have survived if they were released weeks or months ago," Todd Gardner of Long Island Aquarium said.
They're now recovering at the Long Island Aquarium. They may eventually become part of a new alligator exhibit set to open this summer. That idea came up this past fall when more alligators were *rescued from around the island.
Clearly, people have been keeping them as pets, which is illegal in the state of New York -- and then realizing.
"They eat a lot of food. They get more dangerous. They make a huge mess. They make a terrible smell when their tanks starts to get dirty and it dawns on them what a terrible idea it was to keep an alligator," Gardner said.
To make sure this stops happening, the Suffolk County SPCA is hosting an amnesty day this Saturday in Smithtown. People can bring their unlicensed reptiles and amphibians. No questions asked.
long island, animals, calverton, long island news, kristin thorne
- Hospital notifies thousands of possible blood contamination 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos