Long Island News
Investigators looking into fatal Long Island glider crash
Sunday, April 28, 2013
SHIRLEY (WABC) -- The National Transportation Safety Board is on the scene of a crash of a small glider on Long Island Saturday that killed a pilot.According to Suffolk County Police, the flight left Brookhaven Calabro Airport at 10:54 a.m., and crashed 11 minutes later. NTSB spokesman Eric Weiss says eyewitnesses described the Schweizer SGS glider descending before rolling to the left and crashing into the ground. Weiss says an NTSB investigator is on the scene in Shirley, and will have a full report in 10 days. The victim has been identified ast 74-year old Vincent Petruso of Center Moriches. No one else was on board, and there were no other injuries.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
long island, plane crash, shirley, suffolk county, brookhaven, long island news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 47 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up 16 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon 56 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast...
16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links