Long Island News
Reptile amnesty event held on Long Island
SMITHTOWN (WABC) -- They may seem like interesting pets, but many owners end up discovering theyr'e too much to handle.
Saturday, anyone with an illegal reptile or amphibian had a chance to surrender it to authorities without being punished.
The Suffolk County SPCA held an amnesty event at the Sweetbriar Nature Center in Smithtown.
An illegal alligator was brought in.
The center also accepted a snapping turtle and a Greek tortoise, even though they are legal to own.
long island, long island news
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment 3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages
- Bill de Blasio to make big announcement Thursday morning 32 min ago
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight... 10 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train...
3 min ago