Long Island News
House teetering on cliff in Rocky Point
ROCKY POINT, N.Y. (WABC) -- A house on Long Island is teetering on a cliff and now neighbors worry its going fall anytime.
It's happening in the Suffolk County hamlet of the appropriately named Rocky Point.
"If you go down on the beach and looking up the bluff, you wouldn't feel comfortable bringing your family here and having a relaxing day," said Jane Bonner, Town of Brookhaven.
Because just what if the ground loosened up?
That's what concerns people who frequent the private beach in Rocky Point.
"It's not going to slide down the cliff today. Would it survive another fierce storm where we lose another foot or two of sand? I think that's risky," said Desmond Butler, of the North Shore Beach Property Owners Association.
The house on Soundview Drive has been boarded up for almost a year now.
The homeowner went into foreclosure.
Bank of America says while they don't yet legally own the home, they are prepared to demolish it.
The problem is they have to track down the original owner to sign off on the demolition.
They've had a tough time finding him.
The town says the bank must also clean up asbestos in the home before the town will issue a demolition permit.
"I want it done as quickly and as safely as possible and if it's going to take them a couple of weeks to get their ducks in a row, I think the community can be patient for a couple weeks, but much more beyond that I think that's going to be a problem," Bonner said.
The other concern is that graduation season is just around the corner and a lot of kids like to come there to party.
People worry that this cliff may be just a little too tempting.
"There's real jeopardy of kids being hurt," Butler said.
They say it's an accident waiting to happen.
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth 53 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 23 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident 25 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 38 min ago
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 27 min ago
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 56 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
9 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
21 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
27 min ago