Long Island News
Tight security for Long Island, New Jersey marathons
Monday, May 06, 2013
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- Security was ramped up for Sunday's Long Island and New Jersey marathons.
On Long Island, bomb sniffing dogs and radiation detectors were among the dozen measures being deployed to foil any terror attempt in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings. Spectators were banned from carrying any bags to the finish line in Eisenhower Park, and anything left unattended was to be confiscated. Spectators were also banned from carrying any bags to the finish line. Several short races were held Saturday as part of the event in East Meadow. Sunday, runners took part in the 10K, half and full marathons. The New Jersey Marathon was also Sunday in Oceanport, Monmouth County. K-9 units with bomb sniffing dogs were on hand at Monmouth Park at the start of the race. Runners were only allowed to carry clear plastic bags into the secure areas. Besides the added security, another change to this year's New Jersey Marathon was that it did not go along Asbury Park's boardwalk, because of the damage from Superstorm Sandy.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
long island, new jersey, long island news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 12 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 47 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 54 min ago
Eyewitness News Links