Long Island News
Tight security for Long Island, New Jersey marathons
Monday, May 06, 2013
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- Security was ramped up for Sunday's Long Island and New Jersey marathons.
On Long Island, bomb sniffing dogs and radiation detectors were among the dozen measures being deployed to foil any terror attempt in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings. Spectators were banned from carrying any bags to the finish line in Eisenhower Park, and anything left unattended was to be confiscated. Spectators were also banned from carrying any bags to the finish line. Several short races were held Saturday as part of the event in East Meadow. Sunday, runners took part in the 10K, half and full marathons. The New Jersey Marathon was also Sunday in Oceanport, Monmouth County. K-9 units with bomb sniffing dogs were on hand at Monmouth Park at the start of the race. Runners were only allowed to carry clear plastic bags into the secure areas. Besides the added security, another change to this year's New Jersey Marathon was that it did not go along Asbury Park's boardwalk, because of the damage from Superstorm Sandy.
(Copyright ©2013 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
long island, new jersey, long island news
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire
- Photos: Family escapes Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- FDA pushes to get antibiotics out of meat 24 min ago
- LI pet store thief wanted for stealing puppy
Eyewitness News Links