Long Island News
Tight security for Long Island, New Jersey marathons
Monday, May 06, 2013
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- Security was ramped up for Sunday's Long Island and New Jersey marathons.
On Long Island, bomb sniffing dogs and radiation detectors were among the dozen measures being deployed to foil any terror attempt in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings. Spectators were banned from carrying any bags to the finish line in Eisenhower Park, and anything left unattended was to be confiscated. Spectators were also banned from carrying any bags to the finish line. Several short races were held Saturday as part of the event in East Meadow. Sunday, runners took part in the 10K, half and full marathons. The New Jersey Marathon was also Sunday in Oceanport, Monmouth County. K-9 units with bomb sniffing dogs were on hand at Monmouth Park at the start of the race. Runners were only allowed to carry clear plastic bags into the secure areas. Besides the added security, another change to this year's New Jersey Marathon was that it did not go along Asbury Park's boardwalk, because of the damage from Superstorm Sandy.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
long island, new jersey, long island news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 54 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury 29 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys 6 min ago
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court 16 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos