Long Island News
Long Island man accused of stealing pocketbooks
NORTH BELLMORE -- A Long Island man is accused of stealing pocketbooks from supermarket shopping carts.
Nassau County police say Michael Hammond of Massapequa Park was arrested on Sunday after allegedly removing a pocketbook from the cart of an 86-year-old woman in North Bellmore.
Police say he had stolen a pocketbook from the shopping cart of a 67-year-old woman in North Massapequa earlier in the day.
An investigation determined that he had committed similar thefts on May 1 and May 2, both in Freeport.
Police say officers also recovered a small amount of heroin in the defendant's car.
Hammond was charged with four counts of grand larceny and criminal possession of a controlled substance.
It wasn't immediately clear if Hammond had a lawyer.
long island, north bellmore, massapequa park, robbery, long island news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Dead cats found in bags hanging from tree in Yonkers
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green