Long Island News
Court officer accidentally shoots self at courthouse in Central Islip
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- A federal court security officer was shot in an "accidental discharge" inside the federal courthouse in Central Islip Monday morning.
Suffolk County police confirm the shooting happened in an area off limits to the general public inside the courthouse between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.
It preliminarily appears the officer accidentally shot himself in the arm in a third floor room.
He was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital for treatment of a non-life threatening injury.
Court security officers provide security functions inside federal courthouses, including operating screening equipment and conducting routine patrols of courtrooms.
The court security officers tend to be retired law enforcement officers with experience to assist the U.S. Marshals in securing the federal buildings.
It is unclear if the feds will be taking over the investigation, since the incident happened on federal property.
long island, central islip, shooting, long island news
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 2 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 21 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame 51 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 34 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
2 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos