Long Island News
Court officer accidentally shoots self at courthouse in Central Islip
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- A federal court security officer was shot in an "accidental discharge" inside the federal courthouse in Central Islip Monday morning.
Suffolk County police confirm the shooting happened in an area off limits to the general public inside the courthouse between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.
It preliminarily appears the officer accidentally shot himself in the arm in a third floor room.
He was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital for treatment of a non-life threatening injury.
Court security officers provide security functions inside federal courthouses, including operating screening equipment and conducting routine patrols of courtrooms.
The court security officers tend to be retired law enforcement officers with experience to assist the U.S. Marshals in securing the federal buildings.
It is unclear if the feds will be taking over the investigation, since the incident happened on federal property.
long island, central islip, shooting, long island news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 26 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 27 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage