Long Island News
Commercial fishing boat capsizes on LI, 1 dead
SOUTHAMPTON (WABC) -- Several large waves overturned a commercial fishing vessel that capsized off the coast of Long Island, killing one of the boat's two crew members.
Southampton Town Police Detective James Mazzio says Sunday the body of 85-year-old Stian Stiansen was found by authorities washed ashore after the Pauline IV capsized outside the Shinnecock Inlet just before 2:00 p.m.
Mazzio says 42-year-old Scott Finne was seen from the shore clinging onto a flotation device. Mazzio says he was rescued by a nearby Sea Tow operator who retrieved him from the dangerous waters.
The U.S. Coast Guard will remove the 45-foot trawler from the beach just east of the Shinnecock inlet where it came to rest.
Mazzio says the investigation is ongoing.
long island, boating, southampton, suffolk county, long island news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 32 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion 15 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak 59 min ago
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 28 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas