Long Island News
Commercial fishing boat capsizes on LI, 1 dead
SOUTHAMPTON (WABC) -- Several large waves overturned a commercial fishing vessel that capsized off the coast of Long Island, killing one of the boat's two crew members.
Southampton Town Police Detective James Mazzio says Sunday the body of 85-year-old Stian Stiansen was found by authorities washed ashore after the Pauline IV capsized outside the Shinnecock Inlet just before 2:00 p.m.
Mazzio says 42-year-old Scott Finne was seen from the shore clinging onto a flotation device. Mazzio says he was rescued by a nearby Sea Tow operator who retrieved him from the dangerous waters.
The U.S. Coast Guard will remove the 45-foot trawler from the beach just east of the Shinnecock inlet where it came to rest.
Mazzio says the investigation is ongoing.
long island, boating, southampton, suffolk county, long island news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide