Long Island News
3 charged with stealing lotto winnings due in Suffolk County court
RIVERHEAD, N.Y. (WABC) -- Three men suspected of swindling a lottery winner out of $75,000 will be arraigned Tuesday in a Suffolk County court.
Authorities say the victim cashed the winning ticket at a Valero gas station in Riverside in March.
Two of the suspects were working there at the time.
Police say they gave the victim a fraction of the ticket's worth, about $774, then cashed it themselves elsewhere.
The victim, Marvin Choy Nij, was a 28-year-old construction worker from Guatemala who didn't speak or write English.
Suffolk District Attorney Tom Spota says Orhan Ozturk, his brother Yunis and Yalcin Nergiz cashed the winning ticket at the lottery's Garden City customer service center.
He says the three gave themselves $48,000 each after taxes.
The suspects are being held without bail.
long island, fraud, lottery, theft, long island news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse