Long Island News
Video shows Long Island police officer choking man
SUFFOLK COUNTY (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are in the spotlight after a new video hit the internet earlier this week.
It's the video a lot of people are talking about.
It shows a Suffolk County Police officer choking 22-year-old Michael Schuchman after police responded to Schuchman's home in Sound Beach for an out of control party.
"There was no reason for the cop to do what he did. I was doing nothing illegal or I would have been arrested," Schuchman said.
Eyewitness News spoke with one neighbor who says she has video that shows Schuchman pushing a police officer just before.
She says she's turned that over to investigators.
She didn't want her face on camera.
"They wanted to talk to Mike. He was pushing them, fighting against them, not letting up. You could clearly see through the windows there's 14 year olds, young kids in there every weekend," the neighbor said.
Neighbors say they're the victims here not Schuchman.
They say Schuchman is a menace to the neighborhood having loud parties every night of the week.
"Now I've had kids, young kids, with his parties way into the morning hours and they're hiding down here, they're hiding down in the woods over here," said Bill Hilgreen, a neighbor.
"These cops around here are the best in the world and it's a shame that they're taking the fall for something like this when all they tried to do is help us," said Nancy Ferrer, a neighbor.
Schuchman says in this instance he's not the one in the wrong.
"I wish the whole thing was on camera. It would show that my civil rights were clearly violated in several ways," Schuchman said.
Suffolk County Police say they'll take appropriate action at the conclusion of the investigation.
Here is the full statement from Suffolk PD: "On March 28, 2013, the Suffolk County Police Department responded to a complaint of a loud party on Sayville Rd., Sound Beach. Officers dispersed a large crowd. The Department is aware of the video circulating on the Internet related to this incident. The SCPD Internal Affairs Bureau is conducting a complete and thorough investigation into the matter. At the conclusion of the investigation, we will take appropriate action."
Here is a link to the video (STRONG PROFANITY WARNING) on YouTube.
long island, suffolk county, police abuse allegation, long island news, kristin thorne
- PATH service suspended due to leaning pole 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak 47 min ago
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 19 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 20 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 16 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas