Long Island News
Bethpage Air Show takes to the skies
Sunday, May 26, 2013
JONES BEACH (WABC) -- After being cancelled Saturday for the first time in ten years, the Bethpage Air Show took flight Sunday.
The show took place at Jones Beach from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.Spectators saw a lineup of air performers and the Royal Canadian CF-18, but there was still concern that high winds could prevent two skydiving teams from making their jumps. Pilots also had to make adjustments, with winds at Jones Beach gusting to 27 miles an hour. The winds mean the Geico Skytypers will not be doing their messaging in the sky as usual. "As far as on the ground here, we'll do our air show routine formation," said Skytypers pilot Jim Record. "These winds are difficult to fly in but not impossible. We do ground reference maneuvers, so whatever it takes to fly from point to point on the ground, we just point the airplane in that direction." Saturday's rain and low visibility forced organizers to cancel the show, and all the workers who were supposed to work at the air show were sent home. There were a lot of empty stands as the damp weather continued at Jones Beach. Last year, the air show attracted nearly 400,000 visitors, and it is expected to provide a major boost for Long Island's beaches after Superstorm Sandy.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
long island, bethpage air show at jones beach, long island news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links