Long Island News
Bethpage Air Show takes to the skies
Sunday, May 26, 2013
JONES BEACH (WABC) -- After being cancelled Saturday for the first time in ten years, the Bethpage Air Show took flight Sunday.
The show took place at Jones Beach from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.Spectators saw a lineup of air performers and the Royal Canadian CF-18, but there was still concern that high winds could prevent two skydiving teams from making their jumps. Pilots also had to make adjustments, with winds at Jones Beach gusting to 27 miles an hour. The winds mean the Geico Skytypers will not be doing their messaging in the sky as usual. "As far as on the ground here, we'll do our air show routine formation," said Skytypers pilot Jim Record. "These winds are difficult to fly in but not impossible. We do ground reference maneuvers, so whatever it takes to fly from point to point on the ground, we just point the airplane in that direction." Saturday's rain and low visibility forced organizers to cancel the show, and all the workers who were supposed to work at the air show were sent home. There were a lot of empty stands as the damp weather continued at Jones Beach. Last year, the air show attracted nearly 400,000 visitors, and it is expected to provide a major boost for Long Island's beaches after Superstorm Sandy.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
long island, bethpage air show at jones beach, long island news
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in New York City 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 39 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos