Long Island News
Bethpage Air Show takes to the skies
Sunday, May 26, 2013
JONES BEACH (WABC) -- After being cancelled Saturday for the first time in ten years, the Bethpage Air Show took flight Sunday.
The show took place at Jones Beach from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.Spectators saw a lineup of air performers and the Royal Canadian CF-18, but there was still concern that high winds could prevent two skydiving teams from making their jumps. Pilots also had to make adjustments, with winds at Jones Beach gusting to 27 miles an hour. The winds mean the Geico Skytypers will not be doing their messaging in the sky as usual. "As far as on the ground here, we'll do our air show routine formation," said Skytypers pilot Jim Record. "These winds are difficult to fly in but not impossible. We do ground reference maneuvers, so whatever it takes to fly from point to point on the ground, we just point the airplane in that direction." Saturday's rain and low visibility forced organizers to cancel the show, and all the workers who were supposed to work at the air show were sent home. There were a lot of empty stands as the damp weather continued at Jones Beach. Last year, the air show attracted nearly 400,000 visitors, and it is expected to provide a major boost for Long Island's beaches after Superstorm Sandy.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
long island, bethpage air show at jones beach, long island news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records 51 min ago
- Orange County school evacuated after ceiling collapse
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos