Long Island News
Investigation into string of Central Islip shootings
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (WABC) -- On Long Island, Suffolk County Police are investigating a string of deadly shootings.
There were three separate murders in Central Islip in less than 40 hours.
The victims are all young men in their 20s.
Investigators are trying to figure out if the killings are related.
"I've been going through a rough night and rough time, that's still my son. I'll never forget him," said Clemmie Russell, the victim's father.
Clemmie Russell has no idea why someone would kill his 21-year-old son Keenan Russell.
Russell was known as an up and coming rap artist
But now his name is added to the two others who were also shot and killed in Central Islip, just hours apart.
"It's just a shame what's going on," said Margaret Smith, the victim's mother.
The shootings happened only blocks apart.
The first one was on Sunday night.
Police found the body of 21-year-old Derrick Mayes lying in the street just outside a house.
Then 13 hours later, Russell was shot leaving a birthday party.
Huntley Goulbourne owns that house.
He says gun shells flew through his siding and into his dining room startling his two teenage children.
"That was pretty traumatic for the kids," Goulbourne said.
Eyewitness News is told that people saw the suspect dash out of this wooded area and run down the sidewalk, right toward Russell who was standing with a group of people.
"My son ran back into the house," Clemmie Russell said.
Police say they believe the Russell and Mayes shootings are related.
They're still investigating the third shooting in which 25-year-old Matthew Gilmore was shot Tuesday afternoon inside a house.
"It's heartbreaking for everybody over here. Everybody went to school with everybody over here, it's heartbreaking," said Veronica Bowen, a Central Islip resident.
long island, central islip, suffolk county, shooting, long island news, kristin thorne
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion 48 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 23 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 27 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
52 min ago