Long Island News
Central Islip shootings result in more police on the streets
BAY SHORE (WABC) -- Flanked by U.S. Marshals and FBI agents the chief of the Suffolk County police announced that more officers are being put on the street.
"The front lines in the battle against gangs are the cops in the blue and white cars and the community," Suffolk County Police Chief James Burke said.
The increased patrols are a response to the shootings last week of 21 year old Keenan Russell and Derrick Mayes. Both were killed within hours of each other on open streets.
Police wouldn't discuss anything about the shootings, but say they need the community's help.
"These gang members live in these communities, they thrive in these communities, they operate on the streets, the police-community partnership is key," Burke said.
"The whole thing is just senseless. I can't really wrap my head around it," said Raymond Smith, Kennan Russell's older brother.
He says he believes Keenan was a random target. He was leaving a birthday party when he was ambushed.
Smith says the up and coming rap star wasn't involved in gangs and never once even got in a fight.
"It's unfortunate. I feel bad for him. It didn't have to happen like that. Too young, too talented, too early," Smith said.
"The Suffolk County Police Department is deploying significant resources to make this community safe," Burke said.
Police are also still investigatin ga third shooting in which 25-year-old Matthew Gilmore was shot inside a house.
long island, central islip, suffolk county, shooting, long island news, kristin thorne
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- March Madness-style bracket rates high school girls
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos