Long Island News
Handcuffed DWI suspect escapes from cop car on Long Island
BELLPORT (WABC) -- Police on Long Island recaptured a man who they say fled authorities after he was arrested for drunk driving.
Matthew Sabo, 30, was taken into custody at the scene of a serious motorcycle accident in Bellport late Monday night.
He apparently tried to drive around the police flares and cones that blocked off the accident scene. The vehicle was stopped, and Sabo subsequently failed a sobriety test.
When they left him alone in the police cruiser to go get another alleged drunk driver who tried to navigate the accident scene, Sabo managed to escape the car and run down Sunrise Highway into a wooded area, handcuffs and all.
After an hour-long search, an officer and police dog tracked Sabo down. He is charged with escape and driving while intoxicated.
The driver of the second vehicle, 47-year-old Roberto Cruz, of Mastic, was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated
The motorcyclist, 30-year-old William Cazorla, of Brooklyn, was found in the median. He was taken to Brookhaven Hospital with a broken collarbone.
long island, bellport, drunk driving, long island news
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos