Long Island News
Handcuffed DWI suspect escapes from cop car on Long Island
BELLPORT (WABC) -- Police on Long Island recaptured a man who they say fled authorities after he was arrested for drunk driving.
Matthew Sabo, 30, was taken into custody at the scene of a serious motorcycle accident in Bellport late Monday night.
He apparently tried to drive around the police flares and cones that blocked off the accident scene. The vehicle was stopped, and Sabo subsequently failed a sobriety test.
When they left him alone in the police cruiser to go get another alleged drunk driver who tried to navigate the accident scene, Sabo managed to escape the car and run down Sunrise Highway into a wooded area, handcuffs and all.
After an hour-long search, an officer and police dog tracked Sabo down. He is charged with escape and driving while intoxicated.
The driver of the second vehicle, 47-year-old Roberto Cruz, of Mastic, was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated
The motorcyclist, 30-year-old William Cazorla, of Brooklyn, was found in the median. He was taken to Brookhaven Hospital with a broken collarbone.
long island, bellport, drunk driving, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 27 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 28 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation