Long Island News
Long Island man accused of DWI with 5-year old in back
EAST PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (WABC) -- An East Patchogue man was arrested early Sunday morning, after police say he was driving while intoxicated with a 5-year old in the back seat.
Police spotted 29-year old Jose Amaya driving his 2003 Nissan erratically on Montauk Highway near Lenox Avenue in East Patchogue, and crossing over the double yellow line in the center of the road.
When an officer stopped the vehicle, he discovered that there was a five-year-old boy sleeping in a child booster seat in the rear of the vehicle.
Amaya was charged with Aggravated Driving While Intoxicated with a Child Passenger 15 Years Old or Younger (Leandra's Law), Endangering the Welfare of Child, Felony Driving While Intoxicated with a prior DWI Conviction, Felony Aggravated Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle, Operating a Vehicle Without an Ignition Interlock Device, False Personation, Criminal Contempt 2nd Degree and several traffic violations.
Amaya was arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip.
The child was released to the custody of family members.
long island, patchogue, dwi with child, dwi, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos