Long Island News
Bellmore pharmacist shoots at fleeing robber
BELLMORE, N.Y. -- A druggist who bought a gun after getting spooked by a string of bloody pharmacy robberies on Long Island fired a shot at a fleeing bandit during yet another medication heist.
Nassau County police say the robbery happened at 3:30 p.m. Friday in Bellmore.
Police say a man entered a pharmacy and demanded Ritalin and the painkiller Dilaudid.
The pharmacist complied, but followed the robber outside.
Police say the bandit pulled a knife. The pharmacist fired once, hitting the ground and the suspect's car.
The robber sped off, but an ambulance driver later spotted the car.
Police arrested 43-year-old Marc Gumpert, of Freeport.
In 2011, five people died during two pharmacy robberies in Medford and Seaford.
long island, bellmore, robbery, long island news
- Missing plane may have turned back 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
49 min ago