Long Island News
Bellmore pharmacist shoots at fleeing robber
BELLMORE, N.Y. -- A druggist who bought a gun after getting spooked by a string of bloody pharmacy robberies on Long Island fired a shot at a fleeing bandit during yet another medication heist.
Nassau County police say the robbery happened at 3:30 p.m. Friday in Bellmore.
Police say a man entered a pharmacy and demanded Ritalin and the painkiller Dilaudid.
The pharmacist complied, but followed the robber outside.
Police say the bandit pulled a knife. The pharmacist fired once, hitting the ground and the suspect's car.
The robber sped off, but an ambulance driver later spotted the car.
Police arrested 43-year-old Marc Gumpert, of Freeport.
In 2011, five people died during two pharmacy robberies in Medford and Seaford.
long island, bellmore, robbery, long island news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos