Long Island News
Bellmore pharmacist shoots at fleeing robber
BELLMORE, N.Y. -- A druggist who bought a gun after getting spooked by a string of bloody pharmacy robberies on Long Island fired a shot at a fleeing bandit during yet another medication heist.
Nassau County police say the robbery happened at 3:30 p.m. Friday in Bellmore.
Police say a man entered a pharmacy and demanded Ritalin and the painkiller Dilaudid.
The pharmacist complied, but followed the robber outside.
Police say the bandit pulled a knife. The pharmacist fired once, hitting the ground and the suspect's car.
The robber sped off, but an ambulance driver later spotted the car.
Police arrested 43-year-old Marc Gumpert, of Freeport.
In 2011, five people died during two pharmacy robberies in Medford and Seaford.
long island, bellmore, robbery, long island news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen