Long Island News
Bellmore pharmacist shoots at fleeing robber
BELLMORE, N.Y. -- A druggist who bought a gun after getting spooked by a string of bloody pharmacy robberies on Long Island fired a shot at a fleeing bandit during yet another medication heist.
Nassau County police say the robbery happened at 3:30 p.m. Friday in Bellmore.
Police say a man entered a pharmacy and demanded Ritalin and the painkiller Dilaudid.
The pharmacist complied, but followed the robber outside.
Police say the bandit pulled a knife. The pharmacist fired once, hitting the ground and the suspect's car.
The robber sped off, but an ambulance driver later spotted the car.
Police arrested 43-year-old Marc Gumpert, of Freeport.
In 2011, five people died during two pharmacy robberies in Medford and Seaford.
long island, bellmore, robbery, long island news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos