Long Island News
2 Long Island men sentenced in triple murder arson
RIVERHEAD -- Two Long Island men convicted of killing three people and then setting fire to the Central Islip house where the murders happened will serve the rest of their lives in jail.
A judge on Wednesday sentenced 36-year-old Hasan Vaughan to life in prison without parole. His accomplice, 36-year-old Thomas Singletary, got more than 100 years behind bars.
They're accused of torturing and killing Vaughan's girlfriend and her sister as well as a friend in August 2009. Vaughan was convicted of first-degree murder, arson and reckless endangerment.
Singletary was convicted of second-degree murder and the other charges.
Prosecutors say the three people were killed because Vaughan was upset that they allegedly had taken his computer and credit cards.
Vaughan's attorney disputed that his client was involved in the killings.
long island, central islip, fire, arson, murder, long island news
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013