Long Island News
Students affected by Sandy get dream prom
SANDS POINT (WABC) -- 200 kids from East Rockaway Junior Senior High did not know quite what to expect when they got out of their limos, but their prom night was beyond their wildest dreams.
The prom they never thought was possible was complete with performance artists, mocktails and hors'deuvres, and boy, do they deserve it.
It has been a rough year for the Class of 2013, after Superstorm Sandy chased them from their school, displacing them to another town for six months.
"This is a year we will never forget," said senior class adviser Daniel Ezell.
Students joined a contest that was run by a company called "Rent the Runway", and won the prom worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. If this wasn't good enough, then came the music. The students were serenaded by singers Jordin Sparks and Darren Criss, who donated their time to bring true glee to an adoring crowd.
The Class of 2013 partied into the night, and on Friday, with memories of their special guests, and their special night, they will put on their caps and gowns and graduate after a nightmare year that ended with the prom of their dreams.
long island, nassau county, superstorm sandy, long island news, josh einiger
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate 46 min ago
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win 51 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014