Long Island News
Students affected by Sandy get dream prom
SANDS POINT (WABC) -- 200 kids from East Rockaway Junior Senior High did not know quite what to expect when they got out of their limos, but their prom night was beyond their wildest dreams.
The prom they never thought was possible was complete with performance artists, mocktails and hors'deuvres, and boy, do they deserve it.
It has been a rough year for the Class of 2013, after Superstorm Sandy chased them from their school, displacing them to another town for six months.
"This is a year we will never forget," said senior class adviser Daniel Ezell.
Students joined a contest that was run by a company called "Rent the Runway", and won the prom worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. If this wasn't good enough, then came the music. The students were serenaded by singers Jordin Sparks and Darren Criss, who donated their time to bring true glee to an adoring crowd.
The Class of 2013 partied into the night, and on Friday, with memories of their special guests, and their special night, they will put on their caps and gowns and graduate after a nightmare year that ended with the prom of their dreams.
long island, nassau county, superstorm sandy, long island news, josh einiger
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 3 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 6 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash...
54 min ago