Long Island News
Nurse, aide arrested for assaulting 88-year-old man in Suffolk County
HAUPPAUGE (WABC) -- Authorities in Suffolk County have arrested a nurse and aide for allegedly tying the hands of a bed-ridden resident, punching and putting a pillow over the 88-year-old's head.
Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman announced the arrest and eight-count indictment charging Raquel Bouton, a Licensed Practical Nurse, and Laura Harper, a Personal Care Aide.
The 88-year-old man, too sick to defend himself, was a resident at Woodhaven Adult Home in Port Jefferson Station, N.Y.
"The facts of this case are despicable. Nursing homes like this are entrusted to protect peoples' loved ones and help them in the twilight years when they are often at their most vulnerable," Attorney General Schneiderman said.
According to investigators, Bouton, 43, of Mount Sinai, N.Y., and Harper, 58, of Coram, N.Y., acted together when they tied the resident's hands together, held them above his head, forcefully punched him multiple times in his torso and restricted his oxygen flow by holding a pillow over his face in bed. The man suffered injuries, including bruising to the torso, restricted breathing and pain.
The investigation further revealed that Bouton falsified progress notes to cover up the crime. The defendants were captured on the adult home's surveillance video in the hallway outside the resident's room entering and exiting his room at the time of the assault.
"That a nurse and aid would treat anyone like this - let alone an 88 year-old man too sick to defend himself - is the ultimate betrayal of that trust. I have and will continue to do everything in my power to make sure that criminals like this are punished severely," Schneiderman said.
Bouton and Harper face top felony counts of second-degree assault and up to 7 years behind bars for the March 24, 2012 attack.
Attorneys for the women said the allegations are entirely unfounded.
long island, port jefferson, suffolk county, elderly abuse, long island news, josh einiger
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 43 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 50 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos