Long Island News
NTSB: Pilot in Shirley plane crash warned plane not flight worthy
SHIRLEY -- The NTSB says a pilot of a plane that crashed and killed him and a passenger was warned before takeoff that the craft shouldn't be flown.
The National Transportation Safety Board report says a mechanic told David McElroy the plane had a faulty tachometer and shouldn't be flown. The instrument measures engine revolutions.
The report also says that a friend of the pilot told investigators the single-engine Socata TB10 had problems climbing three days before the crash.
The lone survivor, Erik Unhjem, said he was unaware of the conversation between the mechanic and the pilot. His wife, Jane, was killed in the crash.
The Unhjems, of Goshen. N.Y., were interested in buying the aircraft and had taken it for a test flight when it crashed last August.
long island, shirley, plane crash, ntsb, long island news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 30 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 30 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 21 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 21 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 53 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
14 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
30 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos