Long Island News
Man arrested for DWI after fatal Dix Hills crash
DIX HILLS (WABC) -- Suffolk County police arrested a Brentwood man for allegedly driving while intoxicated after a crash that killed the driver of another vehicle in Dix Hills late Sunday.
Police say Carleton English was driving westbound on the Long Island Expressway in a 2002 BMW SUV when he struck the rear end of a 2000 Audi sedan that was also travelling westbound on the LIE. The driver of that vehicle, Henry Lapine, 58, of Levittown was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police officers responding to the scene observed that English was intoxicated and placed him under arrest for DWI.
English was transported by the Dix Hills Rescue Squad to Nassau University Medical Center, where he is being treated for a fractured leg and other injuries. English, 50, will remain in police custody during his stay in the hospital.
The investigation is continuing and both vehicles were impounded for evidence.
Vehicular Crime Unit detectives are asking anyone who may have witnessed this incident to call them at 631-852-6555.
long island, dix hills, accident, drunk driving, long island news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy 12 min ago
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 51 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- GWB repair work this weekend 36 min ago
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos