Long Island News
Man arrested for DWI after fatal Dix Hills crash
DIX HILLS (WABC) -- Suffolk County police arrested a Brentwood man for allegedly driving while intoxicated after a crash that killed the driver of another vehicle in Dix Hills late Sunday.
Police say Carleton English was driving westbound on the Long Island Expressway in a 2002 BMW SUV when he struck the rear end of a 2000 Audi sedan that was also travelling westbound on the LIE. The driver of that vehicle, Henry Lapine, 58, of Levittown was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police officers responding to the scene observed that English was intoxicated and placed him under arrest for DWI.
English was transported by the Dix Hills Rescue Squad to Nassau University Medical Center, where he is being treated for a fractured leg and other injuries. English, 50, will remain in police custody during his stay in the hospital.
The investigation is continuing and both vehicles were impounded for evidence.
Vehicular Crime Unit detectives are asking anyone who may have witnessed this incident to call them at 631-852-6555.
long island, dix hills, accident, drunk driving, long island news
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident