Long Island News
Long Island man goes cross-country in wheelchair
WEST HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A cross-country journey is tough enough in a car.
Imagine it in a manual wheelchair.
3,100 miles, and with every turn of his wheels a Long Island man hopes to inspire others.
His journey ends Monday night in West Hempstead.
If you want to feel inspired spend just one minute with Gabriel Cordell.
He's exhausted, and he has little left to give.
But he's operating on sheer will, completing his mission: riding a standard wheelchair across the country, about 30 miles a day.
"I did this because I want to inspire a nation," Cordell said. "I want to give them hope through my actions that they too can do something extraordinary in their life."
It was 20 years ago when a car slammed into Cordell's on Long Island, ejecting him from his car and paralyzing him from the waist down.
He often tells people it may have been an accident but it wasn't by accident.
His journey will be featured in an upcoming documentary called Roll with Me: A Journey Across America.
The team has traveled with him from mile 1.
They've even picked up riders along the way
Asked what he hopes people will gain from watching the film, producer Chris Yanke said "The determination to do something even bigger."
Seems like Cordell already is.
He's inspired tons of people along the way.
"I'm not made of anything special," Cordell said. "I have all the same tools we all have that God gave us. I chose to use mine in a very unique way. I just hope that people can use the tools that they have within themselves and they will be amazed."
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 53 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
53 min ago