Long Island News
Sentencing day for driver in deadly Riverhead hit and run
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- A Middle Island pool mechanic will be sentenced Wednesday in the deadly Riverhead hit and run that killed a man who was celebrating his 50th birthday.
Joseph Plummer mowed down Scott Wayte last December as he crossed East Main Street on his way back into a restaurant where his birthday party was being held.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said he will recommend the maximum two and one-third to 7 years in prison for the 49-year-old Plummer.
"As I have said repeatedly this year, the penalty for a hit and run must be increased in the State of New York to at least a maximum of 15 years in state prison," Spota said. "Today, to leave the scene of the accident actually results in a lesser punishment than if a driver involved was found at the scene by police to be driving under the influence."
Police say that Wayte had left the restaurant to move his parked car closer to the curb.
"After he moved his vehicle, he began walking across the street to return to his family and friends in the restaurant when he was struck down by Plummer," Spota said.
The impact knocked Wayte into the path of another car, which stayed at the scene.
Riverhead police found Plummer's 1999 Saturn sedan hidden under a swimming pool tarp at his home. He was arrested on January 2, five days after the crime.
Plummer claimed he didn't know what he hit, but drove home 13 miles back to his Middle Island home with a shattered windshield.
On June 3, Plummer pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident involving a death.
long island, riverhead, hit and run accident, long island news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death 5 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman 44 min ago
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Obama lights National Christmas Tree
- Robinson Cano to sign with Mariners
- Photos: Robinson Cano through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos