Long Island News
Long Island school district issues reading list riddled with errors
HEMPSTEAD -- A Long Island school district has released a summer reading list riddled with spelling errors.
F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is misspelled as "The Great Gypsy." And author Emily Bronte is listed as Emily Bonte.
Those are just a few of the more than 30 errors on the list provided by the Hempstead Public Schools.
In a statement, a member of the New York State Department of Education's Board of Regents said the mistakes indicated that a stable administration was essential for children to get a good education. The statement said, "Hempstead has not had a stable administration for a long time and the kids are suffering."
Hempstead Superintendent Susan Johnson didn't immediately return a call for comment.
long island, long island news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 36 min ago
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide