Long Island News
Long Island grand jury to consider police officer's shooting of cab driver
CENTRAL ISLIP -- The Suffolk County district attorney is convening a new grand jury in the case of a cab driver shot by Nassau County police officer Anthony DiLeonardo.
The cop is accused of shooting and beating the unarmed cab driver in Huntington Station after a night of drinking.
The grand jury is expected to consider charges ranging from assault to attempted murder.
DiLeonardo denies any wrongdoing.
Published reports say DiLeonardo escalated a roadside dispute with Thomas Moroughan before shooting him on February 27, 2011.
A doctor who treated DiLeonardo after the shooting reportedly noted he was slurring his words, smelled of alcohol and was hostile. DiLeonardo refused to provide a blood or urine sample.
DiLeonardo and his partner, Officer Edward Bienz, remain on duty.
The Internal Affairs findings were issued July 31, 2012. The report didn't say whether the officers should be criminally charged and whether departmental charges it recommended were ever brought.
Assault charges were dropped against Moroughan in 2011. DiLionardo had initially said the cab driver tried to run them down, so he shot Moroughan twice through the windshield.
long island, nassau county, police brutality, long island news
- At least 2 dead, 55 hurt in East Harlem explosion 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 25 min ago
- Limited Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 20 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape 8 min ago