Long Island News
Long Island grand jury to consider police officer's shooting of cab driver
CENTRAL ISLIP -- The Suffolk County district attorney is convening a new grand jury in the case of a cab driver shot by Nassau County police officer Anthony DiLeonardo.
The cop is accused of shooting and beating the unarmed cab driver in Huntington Station after a night of drinking.
The grand jury is expected to consider charges ranging from assault to attempted murder.
DiLeonardo denies any wrongdoing.
Published reports say DiLeonardo escalated a roadside dispute with Thomas Moroughan before shooting him on February 27, 2011.
A doctor who treated DiLeonardo after the shooting reportedly noted he was slurring his words, smelled of alcohol and was hostile. DiLeonardo refused to provide a blood or urine sample.
DiLeonardo and his partner, Officer Edward Bienz, remain on duty.
The Internal Affairs findings were issued July 31, 2012. The report didn't say whether the officers should be criminally charged and whether departmental charges it recommended were ever brought.
Assault charges were dropped against Moroughan in 2011. DiLionardo had initially said the cab driver tried to run them down, so he shot Moroughan twice through the windshield.
long island, nassau county, police brutality, long island news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 12 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 7 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 49 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos