Long Island News
Fight between teenage sisters turns violent
PORT JEFFERSON, N.Y. (WABC) -- A nasty family dispute turned violent and now a 19-year-old woman is charged with using her car to pin her 17-year-old sister against a garage.
The younger sister was taken to the hospital and the older sister was taken to jail.
It happened in Port Jefferson in Suffolk County.
Marissa Kovalovsky is 19 years old, pregnant, and is facing reckless endangerment charges.
The person she's accused of putting in harm's way is her own 17-year-old sister.
"It was an unfortunate family incident. My belief is that the conduct was accidental it wasn't intentional. The injuries are very minor," said Edward Palermo, defense attorney.
It started at their home in Port Jefferson Station.
Kovalovsky and her sister Skylar got in an argument when prosecutors say Kovalovsky got in her SUV and drove right towards her sister who was standing in their driveway.
The sister got pinned between a chair and the garage door.
She was taken to the hospital with bruises and cuts.
Eyewitness News tried to speak with Skylar Kovalovsky at their house. Her mother came to the door and said they have nothing to say.
"We're not allowed to make any comments right now. Sorry. But I wish the best for my daughter and basically that's all," her mother said.
This isn't Marissa Kovalovsky's first brush with the law.
She has two prior misdemeanor convictions, failed to appear in court several times, and previously violated probation.
That is why the judge held her on $5,000 bond.
long island, domestic violence, port jefferson, long island news, kristin thorne
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
45 min ago