Long Island News
Brawl erupts at Long Island Chuck E. Cheese birthday party
COMMACK, N.Y. (WABC) -- Two women are pressing charges after a children's party broke out into a birthday brawl at a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant in Commack, Long Island.
Melanie L'Hommedieu is still shaking after the knock-down, drag-out melee at the restaurant, where several families were holding birthday parties.
Melanie claims it began when she tried to help a little boy who seemed lost.
"So I just, you know, gently said, 'I'm not your mommy' and I looked to see who his mommy was, and I was approached with, 'You get your hands off my son.' So I was in shock," she said.
Tensions simmered, then boiled over.
Melanie's friend Lisa Lord says she was attacked.
She says video shot by another patron shows one of the women stealing her purse.
Lisa says her 9-year old daughter was distraught.
"She was pulling me away, it was so sad, yelling 'Mommy, Mommy stop, and I was just trying to get my purse on the way out the door," said Lord.
The purse was later returned, but Lisa says her money and iPhone were missing.
Through it all, both women insist the restaurant's staff was overwhelmed and unable to control the situation, long before police arrived.
"Chuck E. Cheeses's did absolutely nothing about this, that was my main concern," said Lord.
We're told the fight erupted around the time they started singing Happy Birthday, all caught on cell phone.
A little girl can be seen trying desperately to do the right things and hold back the adult.
In one scene it's clear the mothers are fuming, one cradling a baby with one arm while fighting with her free hand.
The manager was not allowed to comment on the brawl.
The Suffolk County Police have the video and a partial plate number.
long island, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 52 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos