Long Island News
Dog credited with saving family from fire
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (WABC) -- When Carolyn Swinson got mastiff mix Bear from a shelter three weeks ago, she made it very clear to him there would be no sleeping in the bed.
When Carolyn Swinson got mastiff mix Bear from a shelter three weeks ago, she made it very clear to him there would be no sleeping in the bed.
Early yesterday morning, "I felt a big thump in my chest. I thought I was dreaming and I open my eyes and I see," said Carolyn Swinson, a Brentwood resident.
In just a few minutes, the back of Swinson's home in Brentwood was engulfed in flames.
Two people started pounding on her door.
Swinson says with the air conditioning unit blasting in her room she never would have heard them if she wasn't already partially awake, a credit to Bear.
"I have my life and I attribute it to this dog," Swinson said.
Swinson ran back into the house and woke up her 9-year-old grandson D.J.
They're now staying with family in Central Islip who of course have brought Bear in as well.
"I think he's very cool for doing that. I think he's the best dog we could have gotten there," said D.J. Swinson, grandson.
As you can imagine, Bear has been getting a lot of treats since this whole thing happened. And this Sunday he's going to church.
"I'm bringing him to church, my pastor already knows," Swinson said.
There's a lot to be thankful for.
long island, brentwood, fire, fire rescue, dog, long island news, kristin thorne
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos