Long Island News
Yaphank car crash leaves 1 dead, 4 injured
YAPHANK, N.Y. -- Police say a car veered out of control and hit two oncoming vehicles on a Long Island road, killing a woman and injuring four other people.
Suffolk County police say Christopher Torres was driving his 2008 Nissan west on Horseblock Road in Yaphank when he lost control of the car around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
The car crossed into the eastbound lane near Yaphank Avenue and hit a van and another car.
A passenger in Torres' car died at the scene. She was 22-year-old Kaitlyn Dougherty of Medford.
Police say Torres is hospitalized in critical condition. He's 23 and from Nesconset.
The drivers of the other vehicles are being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. So is a passenger from one of those cars.
Police are investigating what caused the wreck.
long island, yaphank, accident, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 51 min ago
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 44 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act